Last week I was hit by what felt like the PLAGUE. Nausea, poor digestion, and pretty much ZERO energy. As a health coach I know the best way to heal from the flu or a virus is
REST, WATER, GREENS, and SLEEP.
Making something nutritious to eat while sick can feel like an impossible feat, but it is vital to getting better quickly! That’s why I came up with this easy soup recipe – it doesn’t take too much time to make, and it’s very healing for your body.
Sick Day Soup
- 4 cups vegetable broth (for non-vegetarians you can opt for a chicken bone broth)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice
- 3-4 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- a few handfuls of chopped kale
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp cold pressed olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery. Saute for 3-4 min or until onion is translucent.
- Add vegetable broth and cooked rice, and salt and pepper to taste; let simmer for 15 min. (optional: use dry rice (1 cup) and a little extra broth, cook according to package instructions – this will yield a little more flavorful rice)
- Add garbanzo beans and kale, cook for a few minutes until kale wilts.
This was so good & quick to whip up! Didn’t have kale on hand, so substituted with spinach.👌🏻