Did you know that researchers in Finland found that mamas who regularly ate chocolate during pregnancy had happier, more active infants? On top of that chocolate (real chocolate that is) contains tons of good-for-you antioxidants! Just make sure when you are choosing chocolate you are looking for a chocolate with a high cacao content (over 70%) and choose organic/fair trade whenever possible!
Here’s a recipe for a great homemade dairy-free fudge so you can get your chocolate fix + the benefits!
- 1 14oz can of whole fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I used the enjoy life chocolate chips)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- place parchment paper in a medium-sized baking pan. set aside.
- in a medium saucepan heat your coconut milk over medium-low heat until it starts to steam. Stir in your honey and mix well, don’t let the mixture overheat or boil.
- let the mixture reduce by half, stirring occasionally. (this will take around 15-20 min).
- turn the heat down to low, add your chocolate chips, coconut oil, and stir. Once it’s completely melted add in your coconut flakes, cacao nibs, sliced almonds, and any other goodies you want to add into your fudge!
- pour your fudge mixture into the baking pan, cover, and store in the fridge until it has completely hardened. Cut into squares and enjoy! (makes are 20 servings)
recipe adapted from “The Mama Natural: Week by Week Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth” book