Rice pudding is the new oatmeal – but seriously who knew brown rice could be so creamy and delicious? What I love about this dish is that it’s LOADED with complex carbs – meaning a breakfast of rice pudding is going to leave you feeling fuller for longer without the blood sugar high’s and lows.
What are the health benefits of brown rice?
Health benefits of brown rice include…
- it’s rich in B Vitamins which are great for improving the metabolism and important for a healthy sleep cycle
- it’s full of folate, a B vitamin that is vital in helping the body to form new cells
- it’s full of amino acids and compounds that help dimish symptoms related to depression and anxiety
- it’s high in iron – a mineral that carries oxygen to the bloodstream
- it’s high in magnesium
- it’s packed with selenium – a mineral that helps regulate the thyroid gland and is important for the immune system
- it can help regulate your body’s blood sugar levels
Breakfast Rice Pudding
- 1 1/2 cups dairy-free milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- 1 1/4 cup cooked brown rice
- fresh blueberries for serving
- fresh banana slices for serving
- paleo granola for serving
- dairy free yogurt for serving
- combine the dairy free milk and maple syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a gentle boil.
- add your brown rice and vanilla extract to the mix, reduce heat to a simmer. Let cook for 10-15 min, or until rice has reached your desired consistency (I like mine extra creamy!)
- add all toppings and enjoy!