I’m not gonna lie – beets historically have NOT been my favorite food BUT when I know something is good for me I always try to find a way to incorporate it into my diet. You won’t see me eating straight up beets but after experimenting with this recipe I have found that I LOVE them in this hummus!
Beets have a large range of benefits for your body.
1. they can help promote weight loss. Beets have detoxing properties due to their large amounts of fiber. When you have more fiber in your diet you’ll find improvements in your bowel movements. Healthier bowel movements means less bloating = smaller waistline. BONUS: The fiber in beets can also aide in weight loss because fiber helps fill you up which in turn reduces your appetite.
2. they can lower blood pressure. Beets contain nitrates that have been shown to dilate blood vessels causing blood pressure to drop. The only catch is that in order for blood pressure to stay lowered you will need to regularly consume this veggie.
3. they can help fight cancer. Because of the large amount of antioxidants in beets there is interest in their ability to help fight cancer. A test tube study using human cells found that beetroot extract reduced the growth of prostate and breast cancer cells AND in a some animal studies scientists found beetroot reduced the growth of tumor cells.
4. they fight inflammation. Beets contain pigments called betalains, and betalains are thought to possess many anti-inflammatory properties plus beetroot juice/extract has also been show to reduce kidney inflammation.
5. They can improve brain function. Beets contain nitrates which due to their effect on the blood vessels is thought to improve mental and cognitive function especially in the frontal lobe which controls decision making and working memory.
– 1/2 cup chopped, boiled and peeled red beet
– 1 15-oz. can cooked chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
– 1/2 large lemon (juiced)
– 2 large cloves garlic (minced)
– 3 tsp ground coriander
– 2 tsp garlic powder
– 1 tbsp filtered water
– 1/2 cup tahini
– 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
– salt and pepper to taste (I used SEE SALT)
1. Add all ingredients to a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
2. Season with salt and pepper, store in an airtight container for 2 days.